Sunday, March 25, 2012

"Street Creds" by Zach Fortier

****
Street Creds is a look inside the world of street gangs and the cops that work them. I worked the street for many years before I entered the Gang Task Force, joining it with the idea that I could rise to the level of violence of any banger I encountered - a really stupid idea. I wanted to “earn back” the respect of the citizens for the police; I grew up in this city, and I worked its streets the best way I knew how, feeling that I had a firsthand understanding of what the citizens were experiencing. The increasing frustration at gang crimes, drive bys, robberies, never feeling safe with your kids in your own neighborhood - I wanted to do what I could to make that fear go away.
Once I was inside the task force, though, the reality was a rude awakening for me. The task force was poorly managed and staffed by detectives mostly out for themselves, and the internal politics made success incredibly difficult and almost impossible - almost, but not quite.

Incredible. I think what the author went through was amazing. I always worry about my children first and foremost. But even now, we live in a great neighbour hood BTW, and I still dont feel safe enough. My kids are watched like hawks and I worry about my 16 year old step son. I dont see gang activity in his future, but I do worry about depression and bullying, which has been a problem in the past. We try and get it taken care of through the school systems but the bullies keep it up with him. Thank you Zach, for an intro into the life of a gang police officer. Best of luck and I would absolutely love to read anything else you write!!!! THANK YOU!!!!
Thank you to Goodreads Giveaways for the book!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment