Saturday, February 18, 2012

"City of Bones" by Cassandra Clare (The Mortal Instruments book one)

*****
    When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder--much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tatttoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing--not even a smear of blood--to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?
    This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...
   A must read!!! Such an original story, I am in love!! Clary and her adventures throughout this book is so addictive! Cassandra Clare did a fantastic job at creating a new line of  "super-heros" per say. I was addicted from the first page and it was extremely hard to put it down. So I kept it with me and now I have to move on to book two!!!!!! Excellent!!

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately, this book was very disappointing, and only slightly entertaining. Written with all of the pretense and melodrama of a high school goth kid, Cassandra Clare presents a corny, derivative modern day fairy tale, but without any real message. The writing is unsophisticated, and amateur, the metaphors are cheesy at best, and the storyline itself borrows heavily from previous, better works. While I was able to finish the story without having to toss the book aside for better writing, I still found myself rolling my eyes more often than I would like. Maybe Clare deserves a bit of a break for this being her freshman attempt, but really I expect more from a published work.

    ReplyDelete